What do I do after the eviction summons has been served?

The tenant must comply with the instructions on the summons and file an original answer to your summons with the Clerk & Comptroller with copies to you within five days of receipt of the summons, not including weekends or legal holidays.

The defendant may file an answer to your complaint/summons and deposit rent monies into the Court Registry. You then will need to set your case for a hearing with the Court. You may submit your request for a hearing in writing and file it with the Clerk & Comptroller, who will forward it with your court file to the assigned Judge. You will need to bring a blank copy of a judgment to the hearing for the Court's ruling and signature.

If the defendant fails to respond, you may complete and file with the Clerk & Comptroller a Motion for Clerk & Comptroller's Default and the appropriate judgment form. These forms are contained in the Landlord/Tenant packet. The Court will either set the case for hearing or grant the landlord possession of the property. If the judge grants the landlord possession of the property, you may ask the Clerk & Comptroller to issue a Writ of Possession.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a landlord/tenant eviction?
2. What is a residential landlord/tenant eviction?
3. Where can I get forms for a landlord/tenant eviction?
4. What do I do after the eviction summons has been served?
5. How do I get a writ of possession?
6. What if I can't pay the filing fee?